Thursday, May 21, 2009

Talked into it again


After watching the speedway on TV last night (British individual finals) and my comments about no hints for her indoor's about a present for her impending birthday, I found myself ordering tickets for the British Speedway Grand Prix in Cardiff on the 27th June. I only started out looking at the prices, then we looked at the family deal tickets, then exactly where the seats were, next thing I know I am being told to put my card details in then I am printing out my order confirmation. How did that happen?? at least it one less thing to think about, I can now think about the drive to Cardiff instead............

Today I decided to work from home (have several proposals to write up). I also needed to post a parcel and thought I would take it over the local post office and post it, only 5 minute walk away. So I go to the post office, I tell the clerk I want it to go first class, he ask me to put it on the scales and I get told it is £2.74p, so I duly go to hand the clerk my company credit card (I had no cash on me and it was a company parcel anyway) and he tells me that they do not accept credit cards, pardon?? You can pay with a debit card, maybe but the money comes out of my account and this is a company parcel (it is only £2.74 I know but, do you want the argument with the company accounts department?). So now tomorrow I have to drive to the local branch and pay twice as much for a carrier to collect the parcel and deliver it. I thought the post office was looking for people to use their services, declining credit card is not exactly going to help their cause is it.

The joy of working from home is you can get so much more done than when you are sat in the office. A morning work at home is like a days work in the office. I have done several days working from home and I have to be honest by the end of the third day I was suffering from cabin fever, the fourth day I just had to go into the office, us human are a social race after all.

I have been known to sit out in the garden in the summer working, taking phone call is interesting as the caller can't quite work out why they can here birds twittering away in the background. I must admit I do enjoy the freedom of working from home. No traffic jams driving into the office, no traffic jams driving home, start early, pop to the shop and finish late.

I am also fortunate that I have two connection to the outside world at home and I can access both companies networks from home as well, at the end of the day there are only a few IT things I can't do from home which certainly make my life easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment